Savory Oatmeal Bowls (Microwave Friendly)
A quick and easy way to make savory oatmeal bowls using rolled oats, oat bran, and water. Naturally gluten free, dairy free, and vegan friendly options as well!
- 3-4 Tablespoons Rolled oats
- 3-4 Tablespoons Oat bran
- Pinch of salt
- 1 handful spinach or kale
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 egg fried, boiled or poached
- 1 Tablespoon nuts or seeds almonds, walnuts, chia seeds, pumpkin seeds,
- ¼ cup leftover vegetables baked, sauteed, or sauteed works - mushrooms, tomatoes, pickled onions - really, anything is good
- 1 Tablespoon sauce of choice (pesto, salsa, bean dip are great optional
Combine rolled oats, oat bran and salt in a bowl with water, adding just enough for the oats to absorb (start with a ¼ cup and add from there if needed). Let the oats soak for a few minutes, or up to 30. Alternatively, cook oats traditionally on the stove top.
When ready, microwave the oats for about a minute to warm them up - you might need to add a bit more water if the oats look dry at this point.
Cook or reheat any toppings. My favorite method for spinach or kale is to microwave them for 1 minute, then toss with a 1 teaspoon olive oil before adding on top of the oats.
Finish with salt and pepper, or any other spices to taste. Get creative with toppings like peso, leftover protein, sun-dried tomatoes, or sprouts!