Squash + oats - it's finally time! It's been so warm here in DC the past few months, but it's finally cooled down enough where I can enjoy warm oats in the morning. To celebrate Halloween this year we made these vegan squash oats 🙂 They're packed with hearty ingredients, cozy fall spices and just a touch of sweetness - a filling and delicious breakfast to start your day!
Buttercup squash is similar to pumpkin and butternut squash, but green on the outside! You can roast it like any other squash and it will caramelize and concentrate the flavors a bit more. Ya'll know I love a good bowl of oats (pumpkin, strawberry, or anything else!), so it's no surprise I put this squash to good use in our breakfast! I loved the earthier taste of fresh roasted squash in oatmeal, but you could also use canned pumpkin or butternut squash.
The cooking process is super simple - combine all ingredients and stir until bubbly and thick. I poured a little almond milk on mine at the end to cool it down, then topped with toasted pecans, cashew butter, Purely Elizabeth grain-free pumpkin spice granola and chia seeds (whew, that's a mouthful!). You could make these ahead of time for a quick breakfast, or even try an overnight oat version if you like!
Cozy Vegan Pumpkin Oats
- ¾ cup rolled oats
- ¼ -½ cup roasted buttercup squash*
- 2 teaspoons chia seeds
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice OR a mix of cinnamon // nutmeg // cloves
- 1 scoop collagen or other protein powder (optional)
- 2 teaspoons molasses
- 2 Tablespoons raisins golden are great but regular works well too!
- 1 cup almond milk
- Add all the ingredients into a small pot and stir to combine. Lightly smash the squash if it needs to be incorporated more easily.
- Heat the pot over medium heat, stirring the mixture so it doesn't stick. If the mixture looks to thick, add a little more milk.
- Bring to a gentle boil, then reduce heat to low and stir for about 5 more minutes, until oats are creamy.
- Set aside to cool, then serve! A splash of milk, toasted nuts and granola are all great topping options.