Yes. 2 Minutes. Kale so easy you can make for any meal, any time!
Sometimes I'm in a rush and don't have time to do the whole stove top and fancy recipe for my greens. When you just want something simple and light, this is a great go-to! I love cooking kale this way because you can control how much it cooks (just a tad, not overcooked), and it's so FAST!! Win win.
The trick to this recipe is to dice up your kale - this is a good medium chop, but you can do even finer if you want a nice shredded look. Then just put it in a bowl, sprinkle with some water (a few tablespoons or spoonfuls), and pop into the microwave for 2 minutes (less if you have less kale). I use a microwave splatter cover over the dish to help the steaming process.
Here's my before - it's stacked high in this wide bowl!
Top with some fresh lemon juice + salt and you're good to go for a great side dish. You could also toss it in a light vinaigrette or any other citrus-y sauce for a bright finish.
I had mine for breakfast with sauerkraut + leftover protein (I used steak!) + kale.
Get your greens, and enjoy!
Easy 2 Minute Microwave Kale
- 1 large bunch of kale washed and de-stemmed
- 2-3 Tablespoons water
- 1 Tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- Salt to taste
- Chop (fine or medium is fine - depends on your preference) or shred kale.
- Add all the kale to a large bowl and sprinkle with the water. If you're using more kale, add a tad more water.
- Cover the bowl with a microwave cover and cook on high for about 2 minutes (less if you are using less kale). If you don't have a microwave cover, toss the greens every 30 seconds or so to encourage the steaming process.
- Remove and let cool slightly, tossing a few times with a fork.
- Sprinkle with lemon and sea salt, then toss to combine. Enjoy!
Great Recipe! First time I have ever eaten kale. Made pan-fried cod and shrimp with garlic and olive oil. The kale was an excellent accompaniment and so quick and easy to prepare in the microwave. Thanks so much for the detailed instructions!
So glad you enjoyed it!! Hope that you'll make more!