Currently feeling so inspired by this pantry clean out // leftover curry stir fry!! This came together on a whim but is my versatile base for any Thai curry dish that I make. Plus, it took less than 20 minutes to pull together. Win.
I loved this dish because it was
+ used up leftovers
+ didn't need a real recipe!
So let's walk you through the process!
I always start out sauteeing some leftover veggies - green onions and yellow squash in this case. Your "harder" veggies that need a little more softening like carrots, onions, or potatoes are other good options to start with. I ended up adding some shredded carrots and frozen peas hidden in the freezer. Broccoli or green beans (fresh or frozen) would work great, too. This is a pantry clean out meal, so use what you got 🙂
Next, I add several big spoonfuls of curry paste and mix it all in until even. The curry paste I use (shown below!) already has a good bit of sodium, so I used that in place of salt. After it was all mixed in, I threw in some leftover rice and sauteed greens I had on hand. I told you, pantry clean out! Empty out the tupperware! You can skip this and just do veggies, or have fresh rice on the side, too.
Finally, I added in about a ⅓ cup of coconut milk that I had leftover from my paleo gnocchi dish. You could add more to make it more curry soup-y, but even a smaller amount will give some good flavor. If you leave out the milk all together, you'll get more of a crispy stir fry.
Finally, I add some greens on top (this time, kale) at the end to keep it fresh and healthy 🙂
Mix it all in, then serve and garnish with any toppings you have on hand.
I included the recipe below for guidelines for your next stir fry, but encourage you to be creative and use what you have on hand 🙂
Pantry Clean Out Curry Stir Fry
- 1 teaspoon oil for sauteeing
- 2-3 cups of mixed vegetables onions, garlic, carrot, squash, potatoes
- 1-2 Tablespoons Thai curry paste*
- 1 cup rice or other grain bulgur, wheatberries
- 1 cup leafy greens kale or spinach work great
- Coconut milk
- Crushed peanuts
- Chopped cashews
- Sesame seeds
- Heat a pan over medium heat, then add the oil and vegetables. Sautee until softened.
- Add in the curry paste and stir to combine evenly. It may be a little lumpy, but will even out later when you add the milk and rice.
- Mix in the rice and coconut milk. A small amount of coconut milk works well for flavor, while more (~ 1 cup) will result in more of a soup-y stir fry). Heat everything until warm and evenly cooked.
- Add the leafy greens at the end, stirring for just a minute to wilt slightly.
- Serve in bowls and garnish with all the things!