Hi friends! Today I'm sharing a fun and easy soup recipe that involves just a few ingredients!
Pedro was inspired by this soup after making it at our favorite local cooking school, Culinaerie. He's been volunteering for a master series class that focuses on methods and techniques rather than individual recipes. I must admit, I could definitely use more practice in that realm! After all, I take most recipes and change them to my liking...so they're all kind of methods, right?
Anyway, this recipe is super flexible - play with seasonings and portions to get it exactly how creamy or thick you want!
- Chop veggies into roughly the same size cubes.
- Add to a pot, then cover with broth.
- Boil root veggies until soft.
- Blend it all up (in this case, with turmeric root, salt + pepper).
- Taste, season more if needed, then top with what you have on hand.
That's it! We added sunflower seeds and cilantro because that's what we had on hand. I especially loved the addition of turmeric becuase of all its amazing health benefits (more on that here!).
I had some leftovers with sauteed spinach and that infamous Trader Joe's everything spice. Breakfast, lunch or dinner, this would be great.
Let me know if you try it out! Bon appétit!
Potato, Carrot and Turmeric Soup
- 3 potatoes
- 6 carrots 2 medium sized per potato
- 1-2 quarts chicken or vegetable broth
- 2 inch root of turmeric peeled
- Salt to taste
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- Sunflower seeds cilantro, basil, sprouts
- Chop the potatoes and carrots into small cubes (about 1 inch square). Add to a large stock pot and add the chicken or vegetable broth until the vegetables are just covered. Bring to a gentle boil and keep cooking until the potatoes and carrots are soft (can be easily pierced with a fork).
- Let the mixture cool slightly, then carefully add the mixture to a blender (see note). Add in the turmeric root, salt, and black pepper. Now blend, blend, blend!
- Taste the mixture, adding more salt if necessary. If it's too thick, add a little broth to thin it out.
I am definitely trying this recipe ASAP! Yum.