This dreary weekend has me feeling hearty, warm oatmeal. Ya feel?
The D.C. area is a bit dreary on this inauguration day. Mixed emotions perhaps? I’m staying out of the city and enjoying a quiet day from home! I actually got up super early for a workout at Gold’s (Grit cardio, one of my favorites) so, to everyone’s surprise, I didn’t even sleep in. Mildly shocking to wake up earlier than usual, but great to have my workout done.
Of course when I got home I was starving! So hard to decide between savory and sweet recipes, but a warm oatmeal bowl sounded delightful for the somewhat dark morning. I have a few apples I’ve been meaning to use up, as well as some apple butter that has been hanging out for a while. Cue recipe!
These oats, along with most of my oatmeal recipes, are totally adaptable. You could other fruits like pear or banana, or even some diced squash. Here I started out by sauteing diced apple in coconut oil and cinnamon. This smelled so good, just like fresh pie! Mmm. I added in a splash of water to help it cook faster, then almond milk + the oats and cooked until creamy. Then toppings: I added in walnuts, apple butter, chia seeds, ground flaxseed and hemp seeds as mix ins and toppings at the end, along with tons of nutmeg and cinnamon. And of course, a nut butter drizzle.
Hope you find some inspiration for a cozy morning breakfast 🙂
Walnut Apple Oatmeal
- 1 small apple diced
- 1 teaspoon coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh ground nutmeg
- Dash of salt
- 1 cup almond milk or regular
- 1/2 cup rolled oats
Add Ins and Toppings (all optional)
- 1 teaspoon chia seeds
- 1 Tablespoon flax seeds
- Hemp seeds
- Nut butter
- 2 scoops Vital Proteins collagen
- Heat a pot on medium heat and add the coconut oil, apple, cinnamon, nutmeg, salt and a splash of water. Stir, then sautee the apple until soft.
- Add in the almond milk and bring the mixture to a gentle simmer. Add the oats and continue cooking, turning down the heat as it begins to bubble more. Cook until creamy.
- Add in the fun stuff (seeds, nuts, apple butter, collagen, etc.) and let cool for a few minutes.
- Top with more seeds, nuts, any leftover apples and of course, the apple butter drizzazzle. Then serve!
Enjoy, and bon appétit !